Thursday, October 9, 2008

Years, Days, Minutes

So last night as we sat down to eat dinner the boys started talking about how many years 1,000,000 minutes would make. Teancum says, " I have been alive for at least 1,000,000 minutes haven't I?" I said "Why don't we find out" So then it started. I pulled out my cell phone, thank goodness for the calculator on the cell, and started pushing numbers. I figured that if we take 60 minutes times 24 hours a day it equals 1440 minutes in one day. Then I multiplied that by 365 days in the year which gave me 525,600 minutes. I then multiplied that times 8 since that was his last full year and it came out to 4,204,800 minutes give or take a few minutes for leap years. He was amazed. Then I thought lets figure out exactly how many minutes he was so I figured that since his last birthday it has been another 334 days which gives him another 480,960 minutes and that brought the grand total to 4,685,760 minutes and counting. They couldn't believe it. That's when it all broke out and they were asking me to figure out how old Grandma Ethington was and Grandma Terry then Grandpa Ethington and Grandpa Terry, which for me wasn't too hard since the Grandpas are only four days apart, thank heavens for that. They kept going and going and going. We even tried to figure out about how old Gordon B. Hinckley was when he died, are you ready for this he was 51,246,000 minutes old. It is truly amazing how a child's mind thinks. Sometimes I think that maybe we would live longer more fulfilling lives if sometimes we could just let go and be like children. Remember the days when you would stay outside all day long and enjoy it, not feel like it was such a chore to be outside. When your mom or dad would come to call you in for dinner and you would rather stay out there and have fun playing and running around. I want to challenge anyone who reads this to set aside a day or two and let your kids help you be a kid again, run around outside, play in the mud, build a fort and sleep in it. Whatever you do just have FUN!!! I know this challenge is as much for me as it is for you. Remember those were the good old day enjoy them before you are too old that you can't.
By the way Grandma Ethington you are 33,112,800 minutes give or take, Grandma Terry you are 31,273,200 minutes, Grandpa Ethington and Grandpa Terry you are about 33,638,400 give or take.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

How fun! I did the math and Ashton has been alive 436,706 minutes! I love your challenge too! Sometimes, I miss being a kid!

Annie said...

Your challenge is a great idea. Being a "grown up" is way over rated.

Allen Family said...

My boys and I do the math all the time too. It is so funny to see the wheels in their heads start to spin once you get going. It is also a good way to practice math for fun. Like instead of the calculator bust out a piece of paper. It really gets them working and they think it is fun. And yeah, life is too short to always be and adult. We need to remember the old days of fun all day, and playing in the rain and the mud. Loved your blog. ~Kelly

Stacey said...

p.s.
I love the birthday tickers you put up for the kids!
I might steal the idea, if you don't mind!

Miss ya guys!
Stacey